Upscaled Character Textures
Table of Contents
PREVIEW VIDEO #
What is a texture upscale? #
Smart computer look at picture and make it high resolution.
3 minute video that explains it really fast with pretty pictures.
What are character textures? #
In FFXIV, the texture assets are divided broadly into:
- bg - background textures
- bgcommon - common background textures
- chara - character textures
- ui - user interface textures
- vfx - visual effect textures
- common - pre-rendered graphics and text textures.
The character textures are inside of the chara folder.
chara is divided into:
- accessory - textures for accessories: ring, necklace, and bracelet slots.
- common - textures for decals.
- demihuman - textures for demihumans like Gaia and beast races.
- equipment - textures for equipment: gloves, boots, hat, shirt, and pants slots.
- human - textures for player races including hair, faces, body, NPC faces and hairs.
- monster - textures for monsters, bosses, some NPCs, minions, summons, and special accessories.
- weapon - textures for weapons and things you hold in your hands like food.
Currently up to date with ENDWALKER PATCH 6.3
kart chara textures mob 2x RECOMMENDED
(Demihuman, Monster in 2x resolution)
Zipped size: TBD GB, Unzipped size: 34.1 GB
kart chara textures mob 4x
(Demihuman, Monster in 4x resolution)
Zipped size: TBD GB, Unzipped size: 246 GB
kart chara textures equipment 2x RECOMMENDED
(Accessory, Equipment, Weapon in 2x resolution)
Zipped size: TBD GB, Unzipped size: 32.7 GB
kart chara textures equipment 4x v1-0-0
(Accessory, Equipment, Weapon in 4x resolution)
kart chara textures human RECOMMENDED (Face, Face Paint, Hair in 4x resolution)
Installing Penumbra #
INSTALL MAIN FILES INSTALL ALL UPDATES.
general install instruction #
Just drag the folder out of the archive into your “penumbra mods” folder. Then “rediscover files” on the main “settings” tab of Penumbra. The go to “mods” tab and activate it the mod. Tip: The root folder of a given mod (e.g.: “kart world textures main”) will ALWAYS have “meta.json” and “default_mod.json” in it.
update install instructions #
Drag the folder out of the archive on the preexisting folder in the “penumbra mods” folder and say “yes” to overwrites. I.e.: Inside “kart world textures main v1-1-0 update” is folder “kart world textures main”. Copy this to your “penumbra mods” folder and overwrite the original “kart world textures main”. You will know you did it right if Windows asks “Do you want to overwrite?”.
Hey Kart I’m running out of disc space: #
Do this on your textures folders
UPDATING FROM “PAIN AND SUFFERING” (only for smarties)
If you understand what this guide is saying then you can do this instead of redownloading.
First UNDUPE “kart diffuse, kart multi, kart normal, kart specular, kart special 4x”.
Then split them following this guide:
kart chara textures equipment 4x= FROM “kart diffuse 4x, kart multi 4x, kart normal 4x, kart specular 2x, kart special 4x” COPY ONLY “accessory, equipment, monster/m6001-monster/m6006”, weapons"
kart chara textures equipment 2x = FROM “kart diffuse 2x, kart multi 2x, kart normal 2x, kart specular 1x, kart special 4x” COPY ONLY “accessory, equipment, monster/m6001-monster/m6006”, weapons"
kart chara textures mob 4x = FROM “kart diffuse 4x, kart multi 4x, kart normal 4x, kart specular 2x, kart special 4x” COPY ONLY “demihuman, monster, EXCEPT monster/m6001-monster/m6006”
kart chara textures mob 2x = FROM “kart diffuse 2x, kart multi 2x, kart normal 2x, kart specular 1x, kart special 4x” COPY ONLY “demihuman, monster, EXCEPT monster/m6001-monster/m6006”
My goal is to:
- Too look functionally the same from a distance but to not become a pixelated smear up close. * Too not be excessively large. Which is actually really hard to do.
- To complete this in a somewhat timely manner.
- To learn some new techniques in regards to manipulating image data.
Because of these restraints,
- These works will not be as high quality as my various Face Upscales (which are checked individually) or even of images subdivided into subject categories such as SSEUT (characters, landscapes, armors).
- These thousands of images are processed by being sorted into very broad TYPE categories (such as diffuse, normal, detail alpha, cutout alpha) only.
- Because I use these as a learning opportunity and new techniques are made every day, expect occasional refactoring (redoing my old work with new techniques.)